Sunday, October 11, 2009

How Internet and Digital Media are Affecting NPR

Obviously the internet and digital media are taking over with regards to the mediums in which society gets its information these days. Whether it is reading the news, or listening to your favorite song, the internet seems to pretty much have it all. The NPR defititely feels the strain when it comes to the audience they are recruiting, and it seems that most that still revert to listening to the radio tend to be the older crowd.

However, even the older crowd is getting into the swing of things, mainly because in our day and age, some information mediums only have their access available through the internet or some other type of digital media. My dad, for example, who is 72 years young, even gets the majority of his news from the internet. Why bother perusing through a newspaper filled with random information you aren't intersted in, when you can fine tune your search through a detailed search engine to find exactly what you are looking for?

The conversation we listened to in class didn't seem to be very informative to me, however. Maybe it is because I am still considerably old school. Whichever news or entertainment media reaches me first, wins every time. For example, when I come home after a long day, my house tends to be filled with music, not from an IPod, or a music website, but from the rickety sound of my fiance's record player. There is almost something romantic about the rough sound of an original record that almost makes me feel like I am really there 20 years ago, listening to it for the first time.

I suppose it could have been more infromative had the speaker answered some of the posts that my fellow classmates were submitting, because a lot of them were particularly insightful. However, I couldn't seem to get past the loud static that was blasting through the speakers. I suppose if I had done a little more research prior to listening to the speaker, I could have applied a little more insight, and understood the basissof the topica little more thoroughly.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about if we would have done some research or discussed what he was talking about in class before jumping into that live video. I was completely lost on what was going on, though after our discussion in class I fill that now I would be able to understand better what he was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post though I have to say that I rather like the fact that I can find all my favorite sonngs on the Internet! It makes things easire some time, but it is amazing that you guys have a record player.
    I love the fact that your dad gets all his news from the Internet. My grandpa took about 3 months to learn how to use 3 websites: google, yahoo mail and the newspaper web site. After a while my grandma even learned how to read the newspaper on her I-Phone while she was at the hairdresser lol

    ReplyDelete

Followers