Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Need for Speed

Why am I taking “Internet and Society”, you ask? Well, in truth, I am taking the course for several reasons. First and foremost, it fulfills one of my course requirements! Before you get all worked up, I chose this one specifically for a number of reasons.

First, I am still a member of the digital immigrants; therefore, I still need a little guidance when it comes to my usage of the internet. While I am interested in the plethora of new things that the internet offers these days, I am still in the process of perfecting the basics.

I believe that we all must be accustomed with the complexities of being able to connect with the rest of the work via the internet, whether it is for your career, or simply entertainment. I have enjoyed learning the many different ways to find information, follow a certain subject, or just get my opinion out there for people to either enjoy or not.

The value of obtaining this knowledge is limitless, based on just how committed you are to learning how to do new things on line. In my experience, the more you want to know, the more you will learn, and the easier it becomes. At first I was a little hesitant to learn certain things, mainly because I thought I would never use the information, but I have been proven wrong. I feel more comfortable, especially in being able to understand more of the language of the internet, and how to apply that language.

I totally agree with the Net Generation norm that says we are a generation that has a need for speed. When email and chat rooms first became a normal thing for me, I was amazed merely by the technology itself; therefore I did not have such urgency for speed. However, now when it takes a page longer than a second to load, I feel like ripping the computer from the wall and throwing it across the room!

The Net Generation has become one of instant gratification, not because there is anything wrong with it, but we have been spoiled with more efficient machines and internet service providers. Although I am simply glad to have a means to get online while I am at home now, I tend to forget that my machine may or may not be up to par with one I am used to at work or school. Either way, I think all of us can agree that it is very irritating to not get an immediate response to a message, or an instant page load when we are all capable of doing so at the click of a button.

1 comment:

  1. that was a good blog i can say that i want the fastest internet that i can get so i was informed on alot of new things that i did not know thanks for that blog

    ReplyDelete

Followers